Sunday, February 21, 2010

The First Post about my book

My Book: Dreamwork for Actors
By: Janet Sonenberg

I find this book so interesting because it really separates what Sonenberg calls the "prepackaged cliched performance of shallowly observed behavior" from the mindful perspective on acting. In other words, it separates fake acting from constructed acting (based on past observations, memories, thoughts, and feelings). The author's main goal is to teach readers techniques that utilize dreams, psychology, and imagination. I am excited to learn these techniques because I am definite that they will help me become more aware of the characters I take on. For example, my character in Carousel is an all around evil individual overcoming horrible conflicts throughout the musical. I am having trouble finding a moment in my life where I was forced to emit extreme bitterness on another individual; however, I hope Dreamwork for Actors will give me techniques in which I can feel this character's pain and depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment