Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Freddie Reiter: Workshop # 5

Freddie Reiter: Workshop # 5

We started working on a classic song tuesday: "Baba O' Riley" by The Who. I was surprised at how well we matched the record in our playing. The song had a lot of energy and it was pretty simplistic, yet keeping the tempo took a lot of concentration. Playing these songs, that I've listened to my whole life, with Freddie really changes my perception of the song itself. I'm starting to notice the brilliant bass part in "Baba O' Riley" now, more then ever. I'm also keeping track of every single part around me, knowing when and where each instrument should come in. In my opinion, learning how to listen to the surrounding band members is key to playing LIVE. It's devastating that this workshop has to end soon; however, I have learned a lot about performing, jamming, and technique. We must perform soon!

1 comment:

  1. Well, maybe we have to have a weekly jam or something in STAC. We'll have to work that out.

    Mot important thing you've learned: to listen to all the parts, to know all the parts. This isn't only important for live playing, but also for recording. When I was producing, I instructed bands to learn their own parts, and then listen to each other and correct each other's playing. One band discovered the bassist was playing in B and the rest of the band was playing in Bb - I kid you not! I heard it right away, but it took them a week. They got really good after that. It's similar to being in a play. If you're good and a lead, you generally learn what everyone's lines and blocking are, right? It's all the same thing.

    ReplyDelete