Friday, September 17, 2010

Doug's Psychogeography

For my Psychogeography, I chose to capture "things that hold other things." I ended up shooting various bowls/containers filled with objects and I shot platforms that were holding up something or someone in particular. I often find support and stability very intriguing because a lot of trust is involved. For example, if a platform or container breaks, the object(s) it holds will be demolished. In my photos, I decided to focus more on the structure holding the objects rather then the objects alone. In other words, I decided to give the object doing the "holding" more credit then usual.

Usually, when we look at an object, we tend to ignore the structure that holds it in place and focus on the object itself. This is similar to recognizing the outline of an object. Outlining fascinates me because it's always there, but our eye is constantly focused on what goes inside the outline. For example, if one looks inside an empty glass, he or she usually considers the absence of fluid from the glass before considering the outline of the empty space inside this object. Perhaps, this symbolizes the fact that most individuals take too many things for granted or the fact that individuals don't know how to appreciate what they have in front of them. Who knew so much meaning could be concealed behind structure and outlines?



3 comments: