Sunday, October 3, 2010

The "Who is that Guy?" Experiment

Title: The "Who is that Guy?" Experiment
Location: New York City
Time: 5:00 PM
Day: October 1, 2010

So, on Friday night, me and a couple of STACies decided to play with the minds of the New York City walkers. Our goal was to get a group of people to follow me around the city trying to get my autograph even though I am not a real movie star. I have to say, we came really close to accomplishing this goal.

First, we would choose a crowded area of the city in which clumps of people could spot the event. Next, I would start to walk slowly down the street, along with Jill, covering my hair with my sweatshirt hood. Then, five other STACies would approach us with pens, paper, and cameras, desperately asking me for my autograph and a picture. Keep in mind, the experiment only works with a large group of "fake fans" who are not afraid to scream. At first, random people started to follow the "fake fans," asking them who I am and what movies I am from. Of course, the answer would always be, "he was in EVERYTHING!" What really attracted most followers were the moments when Jill and I would move fast through the crowds as the fans chased after us.

We tried this experiment five times in different parts of NYC, including the overpopulated Time Square. The funniest part was that people would follow the "fake fans" almost everywhere, trying to obtain an autograph from a movie star that they have never heard of; one that didn't even exist! We had one man following us for two blocks, along with two other girls who mistook me for Justin Bieber. I was amazed at how easy it is to manipulate the people of New York City into believing something this ridiculous. I really encourage some of you to try this next time you are bored in the city and I'm in the process of sending the experiment idea to the people of Improv Everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. that's ridiculous! i can't believed it worked.
    "along with two other girls who mistook me for Justin Bieber." I wish there was a like button to click.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! Doug, you could easily be mistaken for a Disney channel star :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahahaha. amazing!
    it's also really fun to walk around pretending to be foreign... you put on a fake accent and make up a name. if you're bad at accents just pretend that you've lived in so many countries that your accents sort of blend together.

    ReplyDelete